Message From Our Sheriff
“The direction of this country is dependent upon the direction of our youth. In a world filled with many negative messages, the Sheriff?s Youth Activities League (SYAL) devotes time and resources to teaching youngsters the value of community, the importance of both self-respect and respect for others and provides them with a sense of accomplishment.The Sheriff?s Youth Activities League is an investment in tomorrow.?
-Sheriff Carmine Marceno
Message From our President
“I’ve been a member of the SYAL board since 2008, I have had the pleasure of watching this program grow each year. I believe SYAL is a great program that brings the youth of the community together with Law Enforcement officers and community leaders. SYAL is making a great impact on the lives of our future community leaders and I, along with the board members are committed to take SYAL to the next level.”
– Hannah Pelle
Sheriff’s Youth Activities League (SYAL)
Making a positive influence in thousands of lives of our Lee County youth with fun, safety, and friendship.
Fun Activities for Lee County Youth Include:
- Teen Driving Challenge
- Archery classes
- Free swimming lessons
- Cadets Program
- Summer Youth Program
SYAL also provides:
Programs provided by SYAL
serve children and teens. Each activity has different age groups, but most activities include youth between the ages of 6-17. Currently, SYAL offers Basketball, Archery, Fishing Tournaments, Free Summer Swim Lessons, Middle School Leadership Cadets, Elementary School Leadership Junior Cadets, and Teen Driver’s Challenge.
The Mission of SYAL is to unite the experience of Community Leaders with the Lee County Sheriff’s Office to provide safe and enriching programs for the youth in Lee County.
SYAL’s vision is to connect the Lee County Sheriff’s Office in a series of supplemental programs to mentor and support local youth.
The services provided by SYAL
are more than just fun and games. These programs are organized, structured, and adult-supervised or coached. This provides excellent opportunities for adolescents to develop and grow to become civic-minded, productive adults and community leaders.
Some of the many benefits include:
- Self determination
- Academic success
- Skill and competence development
- Development of planning and problem-solving skills
- Lower rates of substance abuse, delinquency, and crime
- Formation of positive, durable relationships with peers and coaches
- Increased physical activity can lead to better mental & overall physical health
- HANNAH PELLE – PRESIDENT
- KIM SAMUELSON – VICE PRESIDENT
- JAMES CHOUINARD– CO-TREASURER
- NEIL HOPGOOD – CO TREASURER
- CARRIE ROOT – SECRETARY
- YADI PEREZ-LUNA – EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
- JENNIFER CRAWFORD FRANTZ – DIRECTOR
- CAROL RAE CULLITON – DIRECTOR
- CARMINE DELL AQUILA – DIRECTOR
- JEFF EAST – DIRECTOR
- DR. RUTHIE LOHMEYER – DIRECTOR
- SUSAN MALACH – DIRECTOR
- SHAWN MCGRAIL – DIRECTOR
- LENA NERONI – DIRECTOR
- B. PAT O’ROURKE – DIRECTOR
- KIMBERLY HART-MCPHERSON – ADVISOR
- MIKEMILLER – ADVISOR
- WAYNEJ. SMITH – ADVISOR